Sunday, November 10, 2013

Random Thoughts about Facebook and Blogging

Started this as a Facebook post, then it got too long, which puts it in the blog post category, as you will see...

After writing two blog posts tonight, I started thinking about the strange things that blogging and social media are. While brushing my teeth, I created these definitions:

Facebook Status: A place for people to broadcast their opinions, unsolicited or not.
Blog: A place for people to expound upon their unsolicited opinions.
Facebook comments: A place for people to counter or agree with the expressed opinion (definitely solicited--after all, you posted it on Facebook).
Facebook Shares: A way of expressing your opinion by posting the link to a blogger who expressed it better than you can.

Two questions:
1. Are we more opinionated now than generations before us, or do we just have more means of expressing our opinions? How did people share their opinions pre-social media?
2. How much of sharing our opinions online actually affects the world around us?

I guess that is three questions. It's getting late. I'm taking my unsolicited opinions to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment