Friday, November 15, 2013

Chatty Kathy

I've noticed that Corbin is talking more and more lately. It's still mostly baby babbles, which I love to hear. The one word that I for sure know he knows and will say pretty much on demand is "Weee" as in "weee" I'm on the swings, or "weee" dad is throwing me in the air. I wondered yesterday if he really has had a true first word. He says "dada" and "mama" occasionally but not really in a way that seems like he associates the word with either of us. So I'm thinking "wee" is his first word. Fitting...

In fact, we had family pictures taken yesterday and we could not get a smile out of him almost the whole time. The only smiles were when we were swinging him in the air holding his hands and when he was running around by himself. The photographer called him a thrill seeker, and that's what made me realize that yes, "wee" is his first word.

He LOVES the swings and will say "wee" the whole time he's on them. He definitely liked a lot of motion as a baby, and we always blamed that on the fact that I danced through my whole pregnancy with him. The kid is accustomed to movement and he loves to be on the move.

Anyway, speaking of chatting. Corbin started talking himself to sleep a few months ago (once we sleep trained him), but last night at midnight he woke up and started chatting quite a bit. I was online so I did a quick google search to see if it might be a sign of being under-tired. But I read most people saying that it's normal for babies to want to practice their new skills when they wake up in the night. I'll take it. It's quite fun to listen to chatter over listening to crying.

The problem came when it got quiet, and I THOUGHT he'd fallen back to sleep. I decided to sneak in and turn down the white noise playing in his room. It seemed loud and I wondered if it had woken him up. We just use the static on an empty radio station and so sometimes it randomly picks up some signals and you hear men talking like airplane pilots communicating with the tower. It's pretty funny, except when it's happening and I'm like, "Pilot! Don't you dare wake up my baby!"

Anyway, I snuck in and heard him move. I quickly froze, facing the door, hoping he couldn't see me or smell me or in any way sense I was in his room. Not possible. Although it was pitch black and I couldn't see him, he totally knew I was in there. Stands up and starts to cry so I'll come get him. Game over. So I nursed him and laid him back down and he chatted himself back to sleep. So silly.

And I vowed never to enter the quiet room again. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment